Welcome to our wooden window restoration glossary page! Here you will find definitions for all the technical terms used in relation to sash windows refurbishment. We hope you find this helpful! We've collected a list of common sash window terms and their definitions to help you better understand the specific content thought-out our website and blog. The Glossary section of the website can be useful for you to quickly understand the meaning of unknown terms about wooden windows. The sash window glossary is a list of terms and their definitions, which can help you understand the content of our website. In addition, the Glossary can provide you with links to related articles from our window restoration blog, so you can explore the subject in more depth. If you're ever unsure about a term or concept, be sure to check the Glossary first.

Fibre brushes

Fibre brushes

The bristles are usually made of natural vegetable fibres but can also be a mix of natural and artificial fibres.

Fibre brushes often referred to as masonry brushes, are a specific type of paintbrush that is designed to be used with materials and on surfaces an ordinary bristle brush might not be appropriate for.

Fibre brushes are generally large (4 to 6 inches) brushes with long, firm-textured bristle. The bristles are usually made of natural vegetable fibres but can also be a mix of natural and artificial fibres.

A fibre brush is the ideal choice when applying textured masonry paints to external brickwork or render.

A pure fibre brush is also the best choice for applying lime/whitewash because the natural fibres do not soften as ordinary bristles do.

A good quality fibre brush can be expensive but is vital for any project that involves painting rough external surfaces. Due to the nature of the materials, a fibre brush is used for, if they are not properly cleaned they can become easily damaged.

Other terms

  • Fanlight wind

    Fanlight wind

    A fanlight is a semi-circular window that can sometimes be found above other windows but is more commonly placed above doors. The common design has traceries or glazing bars radiating from a single point like the spokes of a wheel with glass in between. This wooden window typical design is what gives it its name […]

  • Architraves


    Architraves | Arcs are words that originate from the ancient Greek word epistyle used to describe the plaster feature at the top of columns. In modern architecture, an Architrave | Arcs is used to describe the moulding that rounds of walls, doorways or even windows. While Architrave is the correct team they can also go […]

Obtain Free,
No-Obligation Quotation