Welcome to our wooden window restoration glossary page! Here you will find definitions for all the technical terms used in relation to sash windows refurbishment. We hope you find this helpful! We've collected a list of common sash window terms and their definitions to help you better understand the specific content thought-out our website and blog. The Glossary section of the website can be useful for you to quickly understand the meaning of unknown terms about wooden windows. The sash window glossary is a list of terms and their definitions, which can help you understand the content of our website. In addition, the Glossary can provide you with links to related articles from our window restoration blog, so you can explore the subject in more depth. If you're ever unsure about a term or concept, be sure to check the Glossary first.


Absorbency refers to the degree to which a surface or marital takes in liquids.

Materials with high Absorbency such as matte painted walls, plaster and untreated wood (especially softwoods) take in liquids easily. As a result, this can make them prone to staining, mould and frost damage. Materials that aren’t absorbent like plastics, treated wood, glossy paint and tiles do not take in liquids easily, if at all. This makes them more resistant to staining, mould and frost damage.

Materials such as: sealant, paints, grout and cement/concrete transition from high Absorbency to low Absorbency when they have dried or cured.

So when using these materials it’s important to be conscious of what moisture or liquids get absorbed as this can affect the drying/ curing time and its finish. Along with the same principle, surfaces can be treated to change their Absorbency. Primer is used on a surface to provide a non Absorbent layer before painting and wood Varnish creates a non Absorbent shell protecting the wood.

Other terms

  • Hiding power

    Hiding power

    Hiding power is a term that is used to describe paints ability to hide or cover a surface. When used in reference to paint it describes how well it can obscure the surfaces original colour. Hiding power can also be referred to as Opacity or simply abbreviated into HP. The level of hiding power paint […]

  • Semi-gloss


    Gloss is a term that describes how much light can be reflected by a surface-so semi-gloss describes paint or coating that, when dry, has a slight sheen to it. This makes it a great compromise between a matte paint (that produces no sheen) and a gloss paint (that produces a lot of sheen and makes […]

Obtain Free,
No-Obligation Quotation