Fanlight wind

Fanlight wind

A fanlight is a semi-circular window that can sometimes be found above other windows but is more commonly placed above doors.

The common design has traceries or glazing bars radiating from a single point like the spokes of a wheel with glass in between.

This wooden window typical design is what gives it its name as it resembles an open fan. Before the invention of electricity, hallways and entranceways were typically dark and unventilated.

The fanlights were introduced into architecture in the 1720s to provide these areas with much-needed lighting and ventilation. Although not as necessary in modern buildings, they are still a great way to introduce natural lighting to any area of a house. The extra light also allows a room to feel more open and spacious.

Fanlights are also a great piece of decoration to accentuate doorways and windows, especially as their designs have gained some variation and complexity as their practical purpose has become secondary.

Other terms

  • Sheen


    Sheen is a term that is used to describe paints that have a lower level of gloss, therefore a lower amount of light that can be reflected It is typically used as a descriptor when discussing paints that are categorised as satin, silk or eggshell along with others that have lower reflective properties to semi-gloss. […]

  • Satin


    Satin is a term that describes a paint that is not as glossy (reflective of light) as semi-gloss, but more so than matte paints. Satin paint reflects about 26% to 40% of light. Satin paint is a great choice for rooms that have suffered a little wear and tear. Its less reflective quality means that […]

Obtain Free,
No-Obligation Quotation