Welcome to our wooden window restoration glossary page! Here you will find definitions for all the technical terms used in relation to sash windows refurbishment. We hope you find this helpful! We've collected a list of common sash window terms and their definitions to help you better understand the specific content thought-out our website and blog. The Glossary section of the website can be useful for you to quickly understand the meaning of unknown terms about wooden windows. The sash window glossary is a list of terms and their definitions, which can help you understand the content of our website. In addition, the Glossary can provide you with links to related articles from our window restoration blog, so you can explore the subject in more depth. If you're ever unsure about a term or concept, be sure to check the Glossary first.
Acrylic filler

Acrylic filler

Acrylic filler (often referred to as decorators caulk, painters caulk or decorators acrylic) is a water-based economical and environmentally friendly sealing and filling material.

Acrylic filler, when cured, offers flexibility and elasticity that allow for movement, therefore stopping cracks from reappearing.

Although mostly used for internal decorating, its resistance to moisture and temperature changes means it is also suitable for external use. Acrylic filler is ideal for all sorts of home repairs such as expansion joints, filling cracks in plaster walls and ceilings and sealing around the interior side of the windows, doors and skirting boards. Acrylic filler has a great advantage (that silicon fillers do not) of being easily painted.

Depending on which brand is selected, there are many different specialised acrylic fillers suitable for different tasks: some for porous surfaces such as brick, wood, plasterboard, windows and doors and some others are for use where fire resistance or sound insulation is required.

Other terms

  • Fat edge

    Fat edge

    A fat edge is a term that describes a defect on a painted surface due to improper application. A fat edge is a build-up, or accumulation, of excess paint. A fat edge is a term that describes a defect on a painted surface (window frame edges) due to improper application. A fat edge is a […]

  • Undertone


    Undertone is a term that refers to the subtle colouration that is added to a paint mixture that can be seen under the primary colouration. The undertone may not be easily noticeable but is greatly affective on the overall mood of the paint. Undertones can make a painted surface feel warmer by using undertones of […]

Obtain Free,
No-Obligation Quotation